The University Archives serves the administration and community of the University of Scranton by collecting, preserving, and making available records of permanent value that document the various functions of the University, including teaching, research, administration, cultural activities, student life, and athletics.
The University of Scranton Athletics Department Collection holds records documenting the history of the University's athletic teams, dating from the 1890s to the present. The collection also includes material on the University's participation in various sports in the National Youth Sports Program (NYSP) and the Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association (PIAA).
Negatives and digital photographs from Terry Connors' career as a freelance photographer in the Scranton area, primarily dated 1976-present. This collection documents significant events in and visitors to the Scranton area, including almost all significant public events at the University of Scranton.
Scrapbooks, writing manuals, penmanship specimens, correspondence, flourishings, and penmanship tools owned by Edwin H. Fearon, penman and document examiner for the Allegheny County Crime Laboratory in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
From 1892 through 1960, the University of Scranton (and its predecessor, St. Thomas College) proudly hosted a varsity football team, called alternately the "Tommies" or the "Royals." This set of materials (part of the University of Scranton Athletics Department Collection) features photographs, programs, and other materials from the history of University of Scranton football, predominantly from the 1920s through 1960.
The Horace G. Healey Penmanship Collection holds a variety of original penmanship and calligraphy samples, engrossings, and other examples of pen artwork. Healey, editor of The Penman's Art Journal and later editor of The Business Educator, collected the original art and penmanship samples used in the journals. The materials include works by master penmen such as Charles P. Zaner, Daniel Ames, Fielding Schofield, and Frederick Tamblyn.
A collection of personal papers belonging to Rev. William B. Hill, S.J., (1912-2002) primarily relating to his work with Best Sellers, a national literary review publication produced by The University of Scranton from 1941 to 1987.
Collection of contemporary Jesuit scholarship and rare Jesuit publications, ranging in date from the late 16th century to the mid-20th century. The Collection is named for two prominent University of Scranton Jesuits, Revs. William B. Hill and Royden B. Davis.
For nearly 50 years, Hope Horn (née Cumming), 1920-2001, a dedicated painter, sculptor, and educator, worked as a vibrant and defining force in Scranton's local arts community. The University of Scranton's Art Gallery is named in her honor. This collection contains Hope Horn's personal papers.
Newsletters, circulars, marketing materials, photographs, scrapbooks, course books, textbooks, documents, and other artifacts from the records of the International Correspondence Schools of Scranton (ICS).
Personal papers of Hélène Iswolsky (1896-1975), known as one of the leading intellectual lay persons among the Russian émigré communities in the West and founder of "The Third Hour," an ecumenical movement in the U.S.
Limited edition fine art facsimile of The Book of Kells (circa 800 AD), one of the world’s most famous illuminated manuscripts. The original manuscript can be seen in Dublin, Ireland at the Trinity College Library.
Legislation, correspondence, case files, newsletters, memorabilia, campaign materials, and other items documenting Congressman Joseph M. McDade's service in the U.S. House of Representatives (1963-1998).
This collection contains four bound medieval manuscripts ranging in date from the late 13th century through the mid 16th century. The collection includes a 13th century Franciscan breviary, a 14th century Italian gradual, a 15th century northern antiphonal, and a 16th century Spanish psalter.
Dr. Ralph N. Pacinelli, Ed.D., CRC, PLC, is a lifelong leader for vocational rehabilitation. This collection contains primarily various journals and publications related to vocational rehabilitation that Dr. Pacinelli gathered from the 1940s through the early 2000s.
Historical records and Congregation archives for the St. Paul of the Cross Province, which serves in the eastern parts of the United States and Canada in parishes, retreat and spiritual centers, monasteries and residences. In addition they serve worldwide in Jamaica, West Indies, and Haiti.
Annual reports from 1870-2010 produced by the Pennsylvania Department of Mines and related bureaus. The statistical and narrative reports document the productivity of collieries and the injuries and deaths of Pennsylvania miners.
Materials from Abe L. Plotkin's United States Army experience in Germany during the last weeks of World War II and the ensuing months, including photographs taken of the Ohrdruf concentration camp and of Holocaust survivors (displaced persons), as well as correspondence to and from Plotkin as the war was ending and after liberation of the camps. The collection also includes materials related to Plotkin’s volunteer work as a Holocaust educator and some material from his involvement with Allied Services, a rehabilitation hospital.
Documents, correspondence, and scrapbooks from University of Scranton alumnus Joseph Polakoff's career as a State Department employee and journalist, relating to World War II, Central America political history, United States diplomatic history, recent Middle East history and culture, and Jewish history and culture.
Rare editions of eleven titles in three volumes by Alexander Pope, including first editions of the Dunciad and Rape of the Lock. Alexander Pope (21 May 1688 – 30 May 1744) was an 18th-century English poet who is best known for his satirical verse, as well as for his translation of Homer.
The University of Scranton ran its own publishing operation from 1981 to 2012, first under the name Ridge Row Press and later as the University of Scranton Press. This collection includes nearly all of the 200 books published by the press.
Press releases and serial publications from the University of Scranton Public Relations Office and Division of External Affairs. Serials include alumni magazines (Scranton Journal, Alumni Magazine, Alum News), community newsletter Scranton Record, and research update Ignite.
The Office of the Provost leads the University’s efforts to achieve excellence in teaching, learning, scholarship, and service within the University’s Catholic and Jesuit mission. This collection includes records from the Office of the Provost from 1992 to present.
Audio recordings and transcripts of interviews with authors, actors, and figures in the film-making industry, conducted by University of Scranton English professor Rev. John J. Quinn, S.J., Ph.D., in London and the United States during the 1970s.
Approximately 3,000 volumes and items ranging in date from the 12th century to the 21st century that reflect the history of the book. The collection features four bound medieval manuscripts, more than 30 medieval leaves, six incunables (books printed during the first 50 years of the printing press up to 1500), and an assortment of books printed during the hand press era (1455 to approximately 1800). The collection also contains 19th and early 20th-century books featuring elaborately decorated publishers book bindings.
Reproduced materials gathered by Prof. Jerry W. Roberts ( -1990) during his research of Richard Boleslavsky and the American Laboratory Theatre. The collection is composed mainly of photocopies of correspondence, notes, playbills, and research material.
Documents, articles, and travel diaries from the career of Rev. Richard W. Rousseau, S.J. (1924-2015), a retired University of Scranton theology professor and former director of the University of Scranton Press.
Documents relating to the activities of the Christian Life Community and Sodality of the Diocese of Scranton. The collection contains correspondence, religious tracts, photographs and documents related to the functioning of this community during the late 1960s to the 1990s.
Personal papers of William W. Scranton (1917-2013), who was a member of the U.S. House of Representatives from 1961-1963 and served as Governor of Pennsylvania from 1963-1967 and the United States Ambassador to the United Nations from 1976-1977.
The Rev. Michael P. Stack Collection contains correspondence primarily relating to Fr. Stack's legal case against Bishop William O'Hara and the Diocese of Scranton (1860-1889). Fr. Stack was the pastor of the Church of the Annunciation in Williamsport, Pennsylvania at the time of the founding of the Diocese of Scranton but was removed from his position before his death in 1889.
Scholarly publications and other academic works by students at the University of Scranton. Collection currently includes philosophy journal Discourse, literary magazine Esprit, history publication Retrospect, and Library Research Prize essays.
This collection contains playbooks, playbills, and programs for various plays that were performed from the mid to late twentieth century in the United States, primarily on Broadway. The collection also includes an incomplete run of Theatre Arts Monthly from 1939 to 1956.
An extensive collection of American ornamental penmanship from the late 19th and early 20th centuries, featuring professional journals, books and manuals, scrapbooks, penmanship samples, photographs, correspondence, ephemera, publication mockups, and a wide variety of original works by master penmen.
Personal papers of Hilda Ziegler (1899-1993), who lived in Scranton, Pennsylvania. She was active in the local Jewish community, enjoyed writing, and had a passion for supporting animal rights and the Humane Society.