Chapel of the Sacred Heart
||Alumni House, Rupert Mayer House
||Davis and Lee
||3,456 sq ft
The Chapel of the Sacred Heart was originally constructed by Worthington Scranton in the 1920s as a gym and squash court. In 1941, when Scranton donated the Estate and its grounds to the University, he reserved the squash court, along with its neighboring greenhouse (now the Quain Conservatory) and carriage house (now Scranton Hall), for his own continued use.
In 1958, the University acquired this additional tract of land from the Worthington Scranton estate. At first, the old squash court served as the office of the university athletic director, and it was the center of campus athletics until the completion of the Long Center in 1968. Then, the building became the University's print shop, until the print shop moved to O'Hara Hall in 1976. In 1977, it took on the name Alumni House and became the home of the University's alumni relations office and the Alumni Society. In 2009, it was dedicated as the Chapel of the Sacred Heart.
"U of S Acquires Scranton Tract," 2 October 1958.
"U of S Acquires Additional Tract
17 Oct. 1958: 6.
"Alumni House Work Nears Completion," Scranton Times
7 February 1977.
"Tradition Continues in Historic Campus Alumni House
12 September 1991: A1-A3.
"Sacred Heart Chapel Moved to Mayer House
17 September 2009: 10.