||E Building, Physics and Engineering Building, Barracks
||George M. D. Lewis
||Frank H. Wilson Company
||Federal Works Agency
The University of Scranton's three "barracks" buildings (A or Arts Building, B or Business Building, and E or Engineering Building) were the first structures built by the University on the current campus. Purchased from the Navy for one dollar plus transportation and remodeling costs, the Barracks were originally naval buildings being used in Portsmouth, Virginia that were dismantled and then reassembled in Scranton. The buildings were acquired in order to accommodate increased enrollment due to the GI Bill. Used as classrooms and offices, they were spartan accommodations and led University students to refer to their school as the "cardboard college."
E Building held the University's physics laboratories, with special equipment for experimentation in optics, electricity and magnetism. The building also housed a lecture hall, physics department offices, and a photography dark room.
In September 1952, the Chapel of St. Ignatius was constructed in E Building. It was only 42 x 40 feet with a seating capacity of 150. The Chapel was then dedicated on February 16, 1953 by University President J. Eugene Gallery, S.J. In September 1956, a new cafeteria was constructed in E Building. The following year, the physics and engineering departments moved to the newly constructed Loyola Hall and were replaced by a student lounge.
In 1960, E Building was dismantled in order to make room for St. Thomas Hall. It was then shipped to St. Jude's Parish in Mountaintop, PA to be used as a grade school annex. It was subsequently demolished in the 1980s.
"U of S to Get Three Structures for Vets," Scranton Tribune
31 December 1946.
"Three New Buildings For University Will Be Finished by Fall," Scranton Tribune
11 January 1947.
"Architect's Drawing of Three University Buildings," Scranton Times
2 May 1947.
"Bishop Dedicates New Annex
10 October 1947: 1.
"U. of S. Chapel Construction Now Underway in E. Building
25 September 1952: 1.
"University Chapel to be Dedicated Monday
12 February 1953: 1.
"New Cafeteria Offers an Opportunity For One to Digest Without Congestion
28 September 1956: 7.
"Student Lounge Set For 'E' Building Here
21 February 1957: 1.
"Making Room for Building at University," Scranton Times
7 July 1960.
"U of S Navy Barracks is Still Functioning
17 February 1985. (On-campus access only)