||Joseph H. Scranton Residence; "Stone House"
||W. W. Mannes, William Sykes (stone masonry)
||19,918 sq ft
Prominent businessman Joseph H. Scranton commissioned architect Russell Sturgis to design this three story, 25-room residence for his family. Construction began in April 1867 and concluded in fall 1871, just in time for the Scranton family's Thanksgiving dinner. Sadly, Joseph Scranton died in June 1872, not long after the house was completed.
The structure then became the home of William W. Scranton, who built the granite wall surrounding the property. After his death, his widow Katherine opened the home for public visits. When she died in 1935, their son Worthington Scranton inherited the house and grounds. The Estate was essentially unoccupied, however; Worthington Scranton and his family primarily resided at Marworth, their home in Dalton.
In December 1941, Worthington Scranton donated the Estate property to Bishop William J. Hafey for use by the University of Scranton, saying that he felt the Estate would be "most advantageously used for the development of an institution of higher learning so that the youth of this vicinity can get an education at a reasonable cost." At the time, the house and grounds were valued at $163,400. When the Jesuits arrived in Scranton in 1942, the Estate became their community residence.
In 1956, some of the granite wall surrounding the Estate was removed to make room for Loyola Hall. The stones were later used to fill in the mine shafts underneath the site of Alumni Memorial Hall. There was extensive renovation to the Estate in the 1960s, and the back porches were enclosed in the 1970s. Since 2009, the Estate has housed the University's Admissions Office.
The Scranton Estate is a classic example of the Second Empire architectural style. Designed by well-known New York architect Russell Sturgis, the house features stone masonry by William Sykes, woodwork carvings designed by William F. Paris, a solid mahogany staircase, and a Tiffany glass skylight. Construction is believed to have cost approximately $150,000. Also on display in the Estate is a 16th century Luini painting of the Madonna, which was a gift of Mrs. Nichols Brady to Rev. W. Coleman Nevils, S.J., the University's first Jesuit president.
"Scranton Estate Presented to University By Its Owner
," Scranton Times
19 November 1941. (On-campus access only)
"U. of S. to Expand by Scranton's Gift
," Scranton Tribune
20 November 1941: 3, 5. (On-campus access only)
"Scranton's Gift Greatly Assists Bishop's Program to Expand University
23 November 1941. (On-campus access only)
"History of Old Scranton Residence Thoroughly Investigated By Aquinas
17 October 1958: 6.
"In Fathers' House - Many Mansion Memories," Scranton Times
13 November 1966: C3.
"To Mark 100th Jubilee of Former Scranton Home on U of S Campus
19 September 1971: 12. (On-campus access only)
"Inside the Jesuit Estate
24 February 1972: 13-17.
"The Scranton Estate: A Look At History And Beauty
9 October 1979: 13.
"Jesuit Residence Shelters History
6 March 1985: 1.