||Martha Fitch, a registered nurse and hospital superintendant who left a significant portion of her estate to the University to fund scholarships
||Bellante and Clauss
||S. G. Mastriani
||Land donated by the Scranton Elks and N. B. Epstein. Construction was financed via a loan from the Federal Home and Housing Finance Agency's College Housing Program.
||13,152 sq ft
Casey Hall, Fitch Hall, Martin Hall, and McCourt Hall, collectively known as the "Lower Quad," were the first four student residences on campus. The four dormitories were constructed at a cost of $757,000 and provided housing for a total of 200 students.
Prior to the construction of the Lower Quad, three homes on the 300 block of Quincy Avenue were used as student residences and were named Fitch, Martin, and McCourt Halls. In 1958, these names were transferred to the newly constructed residence halls, and the old houses were razed in order to make room for Gunster Memorial Student Center.
Fitch Hall was the home of the Jane Kopas Women's Center from its founding in 1994 until its move to the DeNaples Center in 2008.
"University and Local Health Agencies To Benefit Under Will of Martha Fitch," Scranton Times
10 Mar 1955.
"University Will Have 4 Residence Halls Ready for Use at Opening of Fall Term," Scranton Times
16 August 1955: 3, 21.
"New U of S Residences Open to Public Friday," 2 September 1958.
"4 U of S Halls to Open," Scranton Tribune
3 September 1958: 3.
"Dorm Facilities Dedicated
3 October 1958: 6.
"Who Are the Dorms?
14 October 1982: ECR3.