||Immanuel Baptist Church
||Atty. Daniel J. Houlihan and Prof. John McLean '40, two eminent faculty members in the School of Management
||30,332 sq ft
The Victorian Gothic style Houlihan-McLean Center, constructed in 1910 as the Immanuel Baptist Church, now houses the University's Performance Music program. Purchased in September 1986 after the church merged with two other local Bapist congregations, the building underwent extensive renovations, during which a time capsule was found in its cornerstone. The capsule included a July 21, 1909 copy of the Scranton Times.
The main floor of the building houses the Aula (an approximately 650 seat concert hall), the Atrium (a flexible floor plan recital/reception/lecture hall), The Wycliffe A. Gordon Guest Artist Hospitality Suite, the sound control room, and a handicapped accessible restroom. The Nelhybel Collection Research Room is on the top floor, along with the organ loft and organ chamber. The ground floor of the building includes a large rehearsal hall, small ensembles areas, a musicians' lounge, practice rooms, offices, music library, and secure instrument storage and repair areas.
Houlihan-McLean features an historic 1910 Austin Opus 301 symphonic pipe organ, one of a small number of surviving examples of early 20th century organ building. The 3,157 pipes (some as large as 17 feet long, weighing 200 pounds, and others smaller than a pencil) were transported to Stowe, Pennsylvania to be cleaned and repaired by specialists at Patrick J. Murphy & Associates, Inc. On January 30, 2005, University president Fr. Joseph A. Panuska, S.J., celebrated the restoration by blessing the organ, which was then heard for the first time in decades as concert organist Thomas Murray performed selections by Vivaldi, Schumann, Grieg, Mendelssohn, and Elgar.
"University acquires Duckworth site
17 September 1986: 1.
"Put a Steeple on It?," Scranton Record
January 1989: 2.
"1910 Austin Organ Being Restored
," Scranton Record
September 2004: 8.
"Public Invited to Hear Restored Sounds of Rare Organ at Dedication Concert," University press release, 20 January 2005.