||A Building, Barracks
||George M. D. Lewis
||Frank H. Wilson Company
||Federal Works Agency
The University of Scranton's three "barracks" buildings (Arts or A Building, Business or B Building, and Engineering or E Building) were the first structures built by the University on the current campus. Purchased from the Navy for one dollar plus transportation and remodeling costs, the Barracks were originally naval buildings being used in Portsmouth, Virginia that were dismantled and then reassembled in Scranton. The buildings were acquired in order to accommodate increased enrollment due to the GI Bill. Used as classrooms and offices, they were spartan accommodations and led University students to refer to their school as the "cardboard college."
A Building featured the "Pennant Room," a lounge that was decorated with pennants from other Jesuit colleges and universities.
"U of S to Get Three Structures for Vets," Scranton Tribune
31 December 1946.
"Three New Buildings For University Will Be Finished by Fall," Scranton Tribune
11 January 1947.
"Architect's Drawing of Three University Buildings," Scranton Times
2 May 1947.
"Bishop Dedicates New Annex
10 October 1947: 1.
"Crews Begin 'Flushing' Under A-Building Much To Dismay of Teachers
10 November 1961: 1.
"A Bldg. Demolished
12 December 1962: 7.
"Old Makes Way for New," Scranton Tribune
21 December 1962.