||Physical Education Building; Field House
||Rev. John J. Long, S.J., president of the University of Scranton from 1953-1963
||Bellante and Clauss
||Higher Education Facilities Act Grant
||75,793 sq ft
The Long Center is a three-level building (one full-size ground level and two lower levels) built along the natural slope of the Linden Street Hill. The building provided the University with its first indoor athletic facilities for basketball and other sports, along with instructional areas for physical education. At the time of its construction, the lowest level of the Long Center housed locker rooms, a shower room, seminar and conference rooms, a wrestling room, faculty offices, and a laundry facility. The middle level housed weight lifting and physiotherapy facilities. The main floor features a large entrance foyer and the gymnasium, which has movable bleacher seats that can accommodate 4,500 people.
Plans for the Center were announced in April 1965. After acquiring land from the Scranton Redevelopment Authority, University President Galvin announced in 1966 that the University would seek a federal grant to support the construction, via the 1965 Higher Education Facilities Act, which eventually provided $592,110 towards the $1.8 million construction. With the support of Congressman Joseph M. McDade and U.S. Senator Joseph Clark, the University also received a $815,000 loan from the federal government.
"Area Prepared for New U of S Field House," Scranton Tribune
16 July 1965.
"Proud of Past, U of S Eyes Future," Scranton Times
Souvenir Centennial Edition 1966: G7.
"U of S Seeks U.S. Grant for Phys Ed Building," Scranton Times
8 March 1966.
"$815,000 Loan to U of S Is Made for Field House," Scranton Tribune
25 May 1966.
"Construction of U of S 'Phys Ed' Building Begins," Scranton Times
20 July 1966.
"University Building Project Right on Schedule," Scrantonian
22 January 1967.
"Progress Noted at U of S Plant," Scranton Times
25 August 1967.
"Phys. Ed. Building Almost Completed
20 September 1967: 11.
"Fr. Long... Fifty Years Of Service
1 December 1967: 3.