||Joseph M. McDade Center for Literary and Performing Arts
||Joseph M. McDade, Representative for Pennsylvania's 10th Congressional District from 1963-1999
||Leung, Hemmler, and Camayd
||36,000 sq ft
The McDade Center houses the English and Theatre department and the Scranton Players. It includes classrooms, offices, labs, meeting spaces, and a "black box" studio theatre, but its main feature is the 300-seat Royal Theater, designed by Roger Morgan. Previously, the University's only performance space had been a small 100-seat auditorium in Leahy Hall.
The building's exterior features "The Doorway to the Soul," a steel and wire sculpture by Pennsylvania artist Lisa Fedon. "The Doorway" consists of 18 framed images, each representing experiences in the human journey towards truth. The commissioned work was a gift of Patrick J. and Marie Connors Roche.
The McDade Center location was once the site of Crawford House, the 1898 Tudor Revival home of coal operator James L. Crawford. Crawford House served as the Lackawanna Juvenile Detention Center from 1922 until 1989, when the University acquired the building from Lackawanna County. At the time, the University planned to restore the property, which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places; however, the interior damage proved too severe. After relocation was also deemed unfeasible, Crawford House was demolished in October 1991 and delisted from the National Register in 1992.
"House of Detention: A Mystery to Many
21 October 1980: 14.
"University Acquires Juvenile Center
10 January 1990: 1.
"Destroying History? University-owned Crawford House to be demolished,
14 March 1991: 1+.
"Demolition controversy causes change of plans
9 May 1991: 1.
"Arts center blueprints unveiled
26 September 1991: 1.
"McDade Center Dedicated
23 September 1993: 1.
"University of Scranton installs new artwork
," Times Leader
26 June 1995.