||College Hall, Anthracite Hall
||Durant of Philadelphia
||James Moran of Dunmore and Patrick Muldoon of Scranton
Old Main, formally known as College Hall, was the center of the St. Thomas College campus for many years.
In 1883, Bishop O'Hara purchased the Wyoming Avenue property near St. Peter's Cathedral from William H. Pier. On August 12, 1888, he blessed and placed a cornerstone as the foundation for St. Thomas College. The cornerstone held a copper box, in which were placed six newspapers from the day of the dedication and seven silver coins.
Construction took longer than expected due to financial issues, but St. Thomas College finally opened for classes in September 1892. Made of brick and limestone, Old Main had three floors and a basement. Originally, the first and second floors held classrooms, the third floor was an auditorium/gymansium, and the basement held a chapel.
Major renovations were done in 1933: the third floor auditorium/gymnasium was replaced by three laboratories, a new classroom, and the College library. Without a gym on campus, physical education classes moved to the Knights of Columbus gym on North Washington & Olive Streets, and basketball practice moved to Watres Armory. Additional renovations in 1949 transformed the basement of Old Main into a student lounge, snack bar, and auditorium, with a seating capacity of 600.
In 1962, the University removed the Old Main cornerstone and transferred it to the new campus, where it was installed in the front entrance of St. Thomas Hall. In 1964, the University of Scranton transferred the title of the building back to St. Peter's Cathedral parish, and in 1968, it was demolished.
"Athletic Center, Lounge Added to University's Facilities," Scranton Times
15 June 1949.
"University Turns Over Building To Cathedral," Catholic Light
24 June 1964.
"Transfer of Title Announced: Old U of S Main Building Given By Jesuits to St. Peter's Cathedral," Scranton Times
17 June 1964: 3.
"'Old Main' Gives Way To Workman's Hammer," Catholic Light
28 November 1968: 1.