||Francis E. and Elizabeth B. Redington, University benefactors
||Leung, Hemmler, Camayd
||S. G. Mastriani
||Elizabeth B. Redington
||61,689 sq ft
Redington Hall was constructed in 1984 as a student residence, accommodating approximately 240 students in two-bedroom suites. The structure forms a "U" shape, open to the south, which highlights an excellent view of south Scranton. The northwest corner features a three-storied entry rotunda, which is linked to the campus by a promenade. The west wing houses Collegiate Hall, an event space modeled after an early Christian basilica, with a clerestory and side aisles, culminating in a 400 square foot window. The clerestory walls are inscribed in both Latin and English with the founding date of the University and lyrics from its Alma Mater.
At the top of Redington is a carillon tower and a crucifix designed by University president Joseph A. Panuska, S.J. The carillon system was produced by the Maas-Rowe Co. of Escondido, California. The five largest bells in the bell tower were cast in Loughborough, England by John Taylor and Company and range in diameter from 18 to 30 inches and in weight from 147 to 560 pounds. Each is inscribed: one features a quotation from the Ignatian Spiritual Exercises, another marks the 1888 establishment of the University and cites the University motto (Religio - Mores - Cultura), and three others display the text of the second verse of the University's alma mater. The crucifix features a geometric corpus with head bowed, symbolizing the moment of death and illustrating the expanisve love manifested by the freely chosen death of Christ.
"Ground breaking starts new dorm
3 April 1984: 1.
"Bell Tower, Carillon To Top New U of S Residence Hall," Sunday Times
18 November 1984: A3.
"U of S Dorm To Be Redington Hall," Scranton Times
11 April 1985.
"Description of Redington Hall
," 29 August 1985.
"Co-ed students coexist in new dorm
30 October 1985: ECR4.