||President's Office Building, Scranton Carriage House
||8,406 sq ft
Scranton Hall was originally a one-story stable, constructed by Joseph Hand Scranton for his family's horses and carriages. At one time, there was a separate stable for trolley cars next to it. In 1929, Worthington Scranton added additional stories in order to use the structure as an office. In 1941, when he donated the Estate and its grounds to the University, Scranton reserved this building for his continued use as an office.
In October 1958, the University of Scranton acquired the property from Worthington Scranton's surviving executors, Marion Margery Scranton and William W. Scranton, at a cost of $48,000. The office building was of particular interest to the University, since at the time administrative offices were scattered throughout the campus. The structure became the office of the University President.
University President Rev. J. A. Panuska, S.J. named the building Scranton Hall in 1984 in honor of the Scranton family's contributions to the University and the city: "Ever since the Scrantons began migrating to Northeastern Pennsylvania in the late 1830s, their vision has touched the life of this region to such an extent that this city and this University bear their name."
"U of S Acquires Scranton Tract," 2 October 1958.
"U of S Acquires Additional Tract
17 October 1958: 6.
"Kosik Cites Scrantons' Many University Gifts," 6 November 1962: 1, 15.
"Rename U of S Building," Scrantonian
12 August 1984: B10.