Smurfit Arts Center
||John Raymond Memorial Church, Universalist
||Michael W. J. Smurfit H'85, an Irish benefactor whose two sons, Anthony and Michael, attended the University.
||Michael W. J. Smurfit
||7,297 sq ft
This Romanesque building was originally dedicated as the John Raymond Memorial Universalist Church on January 3, 1906. The interior is dominated by a 2,600 pound Tiffany mosaic window, titled "Christ the Teacher."
In 1987, the church was acquired by the University of Scranton for $125,000. Smurfit now houses studio space for the University's Fine Arts department.
"University to buy local church to house fine arts department
14 January 1987: 2.