||B Building, Barracks
||George M. D. Lewis
||Frank H. Wilson Company
||Federal Works Agency
The University of Scranton's three "barracks" buildings (A or Arts Building, B or Business Building, and E or Engineering Building) were the first structures built by the University on the current campus. Purchased from the Navy for one dollar plus transportation and remodeling costs, the Barracks were originally naval buildings being used in Portsmouth, Virginia that were dismantled and then reassembled in Scranton. The buildings were acquired in order to accommodate increased enrollment due to the GI Bill. Used as classrooms and offices, they were spartan accommodations and led University students to refer to their school as the "cardboard college."
The University's first cafeteria opened in B Building in February 1948, with accommodations for 250 students. The cafeteria later moved to E Building.
B Building was dismantled in the early 1960s to make room for St. Thomas Hall.
"U of S to Get Three Structures for Vets," Scranton Tribune
31 December 1946.
"Three New Buildings For University Will Be Finished by Fall," Scranton Tribune
11 January 1947.
"Architect's Drawing of Three University Buildings," Scranton Times
2 May 1947.
"Bishop Dedicates New Annex
10 October 1947: 1.