Community Medical Center School of Nursing Archives Collection

Collection Guide

Summary

Abstract
Archival records of the West Side Hospital School of Nursing and the Community Medical Center School of Nursing from the 1920s through the 1990s.
Source
Community Medical Center (CMC)
Creator(s)
Community Medical Center School of Nursing, formerly the West Side Hospital School of Nursing
Date Range
1920s-1990s
Extent
10 boxes
Language(s)
English

Access and Use

Digital Access

No digital access is currently available for materials in this collection.

Physical Access

The collection is open for research. Physical materials may be browsed by appointment in the Reading Room of the University Archives and McHugh Special Collections.

Rights

Items in the University of Scranton Archives and Helen Gallagher McHugh Special Collections may be made available to visiting researchers to support research, scholarship, education, and private study under an assertion of fair use (17 U.S.C. 107). The University of Scranton respects the intellectual property rights of others and does not claim any copyright interest in these materials. It is your responsibility to determine the ownership and status of copyright in any materials you may wish to use beyond fair use, and obtain the permission of the copyright owner, if needed. Individuals or organizations holding additional information about the copyright status of items in this collection are invited to contact the University Archives staff at archives@scranton.edu.

Preferred Citation

[Item Title], [Folder], [Box], Community Medical Center School of Nursing Archives Collection, McHugh Special Collections, The University of Scranton.


Contents

Administrative/Biographical History

On November 4, 1897, the Hahnemann Hospital, which later became the Community Medical Center (CMC), was founded by 15 women and opened at the former Blair homestead at the corner of North Washington Avenue and Mulberry Street in Scranton, Pennsylvania. At the time of its opening, the building was thoroughly equipped with all of the technologies of a modern hospital. It also contained approximately 25 beds and an operating room. In 1905 the hospital moved to a new building at the corner of Colfax Avenue and Mulberry Street.

In 1962, Hahnemann Hospital and West Side Hospital were merged. With the merger, Hahnemann Hospital was renamed Community Medical Center Easter and West Side Hospital was renamed Community Medical Center West, which closed in 1968.

CMC's School of Nursing was established in 1966 and operated until 1991.

The Community Medical Center merged with Geisinger Health System in February, 2012 and is now known as Geisinger-Community Medical Center (G-CMC).

A Look at Community Medical Center through the Years (2011, July 19). The Times Tribune.

Scope and Content Note

Archival records of the West Side Hospital School of Nursing and the Community Medical Center School of Nursing from the 1920s through the 1990s. Documents include: student records and grade reports from the West Side Hospital School of Nursing from 1919-1949, student and administrative correspondence, admission materials, State Board of Examiners records and reports, annual reports, course plans, faculty handbooks, and course evaluations. Additionally, the collection includes an assortment of class portraits ranging from the 1960s to the 1980s, yearbooks from the 1970s and 1980s (not every year), photo albums, photographic negatives, newspaper clippings scrapbooks, hospital newsletters, printing blocks for promotional materials, and assorted ephemera.

System of Arrangement

The collection is arranged in 13 boxes.


Acquisition Information

Donated by the Community Medical Center, ca. 2010.


Processing Notes

Processing was completed in 2016.