- Research notes, class material, and correspondence from Rev. Paul Beining's years as a biology professor at The University of Scranton.
- Rev. Paul Beining, S.J.
- Date Range
- 1949 - 2004
- 2 boxes
Access and Use
No digital access is currently available for materials in this collection.
Physical materials may be browsed by appointment in the
Reading Room of the University Archives and McHugh Special Collections.
Parts of this collection may contain student materials that are confidential as well university administration materials that are closed for 25 years from the date of creation.
Items in the University of Scranton Archives and Helen Gallagher McHugh Special Collections may be made available to visiting researchers to support research, scholarship, education, and private study under an assertion of fair use (17 U.S.C. 107). The University of Scranton respects the intellectual property rights of others and does not claim any copyright interest in these materials. It is your responsibility to determine the ownership and status of copyright in any materials you may wish to use beyond fair use, and obtain the permission of the copyright owner, if needed. Individuals or organizations holding additional information about the copyright status of items in this collection are invited to contact the University Archives staff at
[Item Title], [Folder], [Box], Rev. Paul Beining, S.J., Ph.D., Collection, McHugh Special Collections, The University of Scranton.
See biographical notes for Rev. Paul Beining.
Scope and Content Note
This collection contains Rev. Paul Beining's personal research notes, class material, and University-related memos as well as some correspondence from his time at Scranton (1949-1951, 1967-2004). There are also some documents from his period at St. Joseph’s College and some former students’ papers.
System of Arrangement
This collection is arranged into 8 series, occupying 2 record boxes.
Series I. Course Materials (Box 1)
This series consists of 27 folders containing exams, quizzes, articles, and syllabi from Rev. Beining’s various classes. The folders are arranged by class, then year.
- Biology 101, Fall 2001 Exams
- Biology 101, Fall 2002 Exams
- Biology 101, 2003 Exams
- Biology 101, Handouts (miscellaneous)
- Biology 101, Questions from the Textbook CD
- Biology 141, General Biology, 1997 Syllabus & Exams
- Biology 141, General Biology, Fall 1998 Exams
- Biology 141, General Biology, Fall 1999 Exams
- Biology 141, General Biology, Readings Fall 2000
- Biology 142, General Biology, Spring 1998 Syllabus & Exams
- Biology 142, General Biology, Spring 1999 Exams
- Biology 142, General Biology, 1998-2000 Class Schedule
- Biology 250, Microbiology, Fall 1999 Exams
- Biology 250, Microbiology, Fall 2000 Exams
- Biology 250, Microbiology, Fall 2001 Exams
- Biology 250, Microbiology, Fall 2002 Exams
- Biology 250, Microbiology 2002 Makeup Exams
- Biology 250, Microbiology Fall 2003 Exams
- Biology 250, Microbiology, Articles (various years)
- Biology 344, Immunology, Articles (1992-2001)
- Biology 344, Immunology, 1998-1999 Exams
- Biology 344, Immunology, Spring 2000 Quizzes
- Biology 344, Immunology, Spring 2001 Quizzes
- Biology 344, Immunology, Handouts & Exams 2003
- Biology 344, Immunology, Laboratory Exams/Quizzes
- Biology 344, Immunology, Handouts (miscellaneous
- Biology 344, Immunology, Lecture Notes
Series II. Research (Box 1)
This series contains material related to Beining’s research and seminar topics. These 13 folders contain handwritten seminar lecture notes as well as grant proposals to several institutions.
- Seminar Notes 1987
- Department of Health of Human Services Seminar Notes, August 8, 1988
- HIV Seminar Notes, June 16, 1989
- Seminar Notes 1989
- Lipopolysaccaride Seminar 1990
- Seminar Notes 1991a
- Seminar Notes 1991b
- Immunity Seminar Notes, 1994
- Research Proposal on ‘Polyphasic Taxonomy of Marine and Non-Marine Micrococci’
- Assorted Notes from Different Texts
- Research Grant Proposals to the National Institute of Health
- Grant Requests
- Assorted Faculty Grant Proposals
Series III. University Committees and Administration (Box 1)
This series consists of 13 folders related to University of Scranton committees and projects. Many of these documents are memos that Rev. Beining received during his tenure at the University.
- University Academic Structure and Policy
- Pro Deo et Universitate Board of Directors
- Middle States Evaluation 1998
- Howard Hughes Grant 1997
- Faculty Merit
- Health Professions Evaluation Committee
- Senior Honors Project
- Block Scheduling
- Faculty-Student Research Program
- Distance Learning
- Foreign Study for Students
- Alpha Sigma Nu
- Sigma Xi
Series IV. Biology Department Administration (Boxes 1 and 2)
This series consists of 9 folders that contain information related to administration, changes and procedures in the Biology Department.
- Matching Grants for Biology Department 1974
- Facilities Improvement Program
- Department Budgets
- Biology Graduate Program
- Graduate Assistants
- Biology Curriculum Changes
- Job Applications 1998
- Biology Courses Offered by Faculty 2001
- Animal Research
- Animal Research - IACUC Meetings
- -70o Culture List
- Laboratory Chemical Inventory
- Body Fluid Experiment Guidelines
- Radioisotope Usage Guidelines
Series V. Correspondence (Box 2)
This series consists of 3 folders of Rev. Beining’s correspondence. The first folder is a memo concerning scientific research, while the second folder is a correction Rev. Beining sent to the Philadelphia Inquirer. The last folder in this series is assorted personal correspondence.
- Dov Correspondence
- Philadelphia Inquirer
- Assorted Personal Correspondence
Series VI. Student Research (Box 2)
This series consists of 4 folders, each containing a former student’s paper. These papers were found among Rev. Beining’s other files. Other senior honor theses were found with his personal files, but they were removed to be placed in an already existing archival collection of University of Scranton Masters and Honors Theses. Those that were removed were: Michael Aboutanos (1988), Daniel T. Murphy (1993), and William Lynagh (1978).
- Borland Lawrence M.
- DeSantos, Richard J.
- Loftus, Mary E.
- Petroziello, Joseph M.
Series VII. St. Joseph's College (Box 2)
This series consists of 3 folders whose material dates back to Rev. Beining’s time at St. Joseph’s College in Philadelphia.
- Committee on Medical and Dental School Recommendations
- National Science Foundation Grant
- Atomic Energy Commission Grant
Series VIII. Research Material - Assorted News Articles by Subject (Box 2)
This series contains news and journal articles pertaining to subjects Rev. Beining was personally interested in or published on. Articles on two of the topics (Plasmapheresis and Giardiasis) can be found in the Aquinas archives.
- Plasmapheresis (1973) Giardiasis (1984)
- Morality of Professional Boxing
- Illegal Drugs
- Student Riots
Processed by Rita Tepperr April 2007.