- Office files and other materials documenting the Scranton career of University of Scranton President Rev. Joseph A. Panuska, S.J., Ph.D., from 1982 to 1998.
- Rev. Joseph A. Panuska, S.J., Ph.D.
- Rev. Joseph A. Panuska, S.J., Ph.D.
- Date Range
- 1963 - 1998
- 11 boxes, 22 video tapes, 27 artifacts
Access and Use
Only a small selection of materials from this collection have been digitized. All digitized materials are publicly available online.
Physical materials may be browsed by appointment in the
Reading Room of the University Archives and McHugh Special Collections. Parts of this collection contain University administration materials that are closed for 25 years from the date of creation.
Copyright to many of the items in this collection is held by the University of Scranton. They may be used freely, with attribution, for educational, research, or private purposes. To request permission for other uses, including commercial use, please contact the University Archives at firstname.lastname@example.org.
[Item Title], [Folder], [Box], Rev. Joseph A. Panuska, S.J., Ph.D., Collection, McHugh Special Collections, The University of Scranton. [Reference URL for digital objects].
VIAF Personal and Corporate Names
See biographical sketch of Rev. Joseph A. Panuska, S.J., Ph.D.
Scope and Content Note
Rev. Joseph A. Panuska, S.J, Ph.D., was president of The University of Scranton from July 1982 through June 1998. The material in this collection primarily concerns his career at The University of Scranton (1982-1998), although there is some material from Boston College and Georgetown University (1963-1981).
The collection includes 11 record boxes and 3 linear feet of artifacts, framed photographs, and video tapes. The majority of this collection is composed of office files and copies of lectures and speeches. There is also correspondence and a small group of photographs.
System of Arrangement
This collection is arranged into 8 series:
- I. Numbered Office Files (Boxes 1, 2, 3)
- II. Unnumbered Office Files (Boxes 3, 4, 5)
- III. Photographs (Box 5)
- IV. Correspondence (Boxes 6, 7)
- V. Pre-University of Scranton (Box 7)
- VI. Speeches (Boxes 8, 9, 10, 11)
- VII. Audio/Video Collection
- VIII. Artifacts
Series I. Numbered Office Files
This series consists of approximately 30 office files arranged in numerical order. Contents of the files range from the University Planning Committee, Jesuit identity and mission, finance, scholarships, Middle States accreditation, real estate, Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities, and files relating to the theology and biology academic departments. Some item level lists are available.
- File #110 -- VP Planning
- File #110.1 -- University Planning Committee
- File #110.1 -- University Planning Committee (summary of meetings and membership on committee, 1992-1996)
- File #122 -- Jesuit Recruitment Information (2 folders)
- File #122.1 -- Jesuit Identity File (3 folders)
- File #122.6 -- Jesuit Identity and Mission (3 folders)
- File #132 -- (3 folders: Annenberg Foundation, US Steel Foundation, No Name- 10/15/87- 7/11/94)
- File #220 -- Alumni Correspondence
- File #310 -- VP for Finance
- File #315 -- Carroll Scholarships
- File #316 -- Director of Financial Aid (2 folders)
- File #409 -- Middle States (2 folders)
- File #409.1 -- Middle States (3 folders)
- File #410 -- Headmaster (correspondence with Scranton Preparatory School)
- File #411 -- Dean, CAS
- File #412 -- (2 folders titled: Dean of Graduate School and Director of Admissions)
- File #412.1 -- Graduate School Program
- File #412.6 -- Graduate School Student Research Program (2 folders)
- File #416 -- Admissions
- File #417.19 -- Theology Department
- File #417.2 -- Biology Department
- File #438.10 -- Marywood Cooperative Programs (7 folders titled: Volunteer Service, Marywood/UofS Cooperative Programs 1984-1994, Marywood Cooperative Program, Marywood/UofS Cooperative Efforts, Marywood Cooperative File, Marywood Cooperative Program, and Marywood/UofS Cooperative Programs)
- File #450.6 -- AJCU (Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities)
- File #450.6A -- AJCU Task Force
- File #450.6B -- (2 folders titled: AJCU Budgeting and AJCU Restructuring)
- File #505 -- Redevelopment Authority (Urban Renewal Admin.)
- File #510 -- Assoc. VP for Administrative Services
- File #531 -- Contract - Science Building
- File #537 -- Library - signed contract
- File #540.1 -- Real Estate - Miscellaneous (2 folders)
- File #551.1 -- Art on the Commons
- File #708.2 -- Alcohol Task Force
- File #710 -- VP for Student Affairs
Series II. Un-Numbered Office Files
This series consists of approximately 25 office files with no original numbering. Contents of the files range from The Task Force on Ignatian Identity and Mission, The President's Task Force on Alcohol Abuse, land acquisition, greeting cards, the 1995 affirmative action plan, and J. A. Panuska Comments from the early 1980s to the mid-1990s. Some item level lists are available.
Box 3. (continued from Series I)
- Miscellaneous Articles ~ 1985
- Indenture of Trust Nov. 1, 1957 and May 1, 1959 (between University of Scranton and NEPA National Bank and Trust Company)
- Application for Land Acquisition and Bank Credit Info.
- Letter to the class of 1996 from Pres. Bill Clinton
- Various Articles (alcohol task force)
- Greeting Cards from the University of Scranton Curriculum Study (3 folders)
- 45th Annual Americanism Award Dinner (in honor of Panuska)
- Memo from George Lynett (audit of city finances, expense side of city operations, revenue side of city operations)
- License plate from Panuska's car
- GE Curriculum (University Senate's survey responses)
- Affirmative Action Plan, 1995
- Inaugural Congratulations (2 folders)
- Task Force on Ignatian Identity and Mission, 8/26/94-9/27/94
- Task Force on Ignatian Identity and Mission, Oct. '94-3/1/95
- Task Force on Ignatian Identity and Mission, 3/2/95-5/16/95
- Task Force on Ignatian Identity and Mission, 5/31/95-11/9/95
- President's Task Force on Alcohol Abuse (reports, surveys, and statistics- 4 folders)
- Annual Commencement Program May 26, 1974
- Pocket Diploma
- Scranton Journal (featuring Panuska Farewell) Fall 1997
- Articles Regarding Panuska Resignation (2/12/97 and 2/16/97)
- J. A. Panuska Comments undated to 1988
- J. A. Panuska Comments 1988-1991
- J. A. Panuska Comments 1992-1993
- J. A. Panuska Comments November 1993-?
Series III. Photographs
The photographs series consists of public relations photographs, campus images, dignitaries, commencement proceedings, alumni, and others contained in 28 folders.
Box 5. (continued from Series II)
- Mother Teresa
- Seasonal ("fall, winter, summer")
- Seasonal ("winter")
- Photos from Sr. Mary Theresa Montesione, St Anthony's Convent
- Monuments/Statues (3 folders)
- Weinberg Library
- Scranton Family (2 folders)
- Gov. Casey
- "My Sweetheart"
- National Alumni Society
- Alumni Photos - Todd Lavelle
- Alumni Photos
- Commencement Photos
- Commencement Photos - Panuska
- Commencement Photos - Richard Harris
- Commencement Photos - Smurfit
- Commencement Photos - Frank Carlucci
- Commencement Photos - Graduation/honorary degrees
- Commencement Photos - 1973
- Commencement Photos - Dick Thornburgh
- Commencement Photos - Tip O'Neill
- Photos - no labels
Series IV. Personal Correspondence
The Correspondence Series contains personal correspondence arranged alphabetically as well as one folder with correspondence dated 1980-1982, one folder of inaugural correspondence, a folder with correspondence concerning President Panuska's appointment 1981-1982, and two folders containing correspondence concerning his resignation/transition to Wernersville. Access to this series is restricted.
- Personal Correspondence "A"
- Personal Correspondence "B"
- Personal Correspondence "C"
- Personal Correspondence "D"
- Personal Correspondence "E"
- Personal Correspondence "F"
- Personal Correspondence "G"
- Personal Correspondence "H"
- Personal Correspondence "I and J"
- Personal Correspondence "K"
- Personal Correspondence "L"
- Personal Correspondence "M" (2 folders)
- Personal Correspondence "N"
- Personal Correspondence "O"
- Personal Correspondence "P"
- Personal Correspondence "Q and R"
- Personal Correspondence "S"
- Personal Correspondence "T"
- Personal Correspondence "U and V"
- Personal Correspondence "W"
- Personal Correspondence "X, Y, and Z"
- Personal Correspondence 1980-1982
- Inaugural Correspondence
- Correspondence with Other Colleges Regarding Panuska's Appointment, 1981-1982
- Resignation/transition to Wernersville (2 folders)
- Resignation/transition to Wernersville (newspapers)
- 45th annual Americanism award dinner, B'nai B'rith 5-17-97
Series V. Pre-University of Scranton Material
This series consists of two folders of material related to Boston College and one folder related to Georgetown University. Boston College Sub Turri 1980, 1981, & 1982. Quadrangle Considerations by William J. Byron, S.J. The Sub Terri and Byron book are shelved with the Panuska artifacts.
Box 7. (continued from Series IV)
- Boston College Newspaper Clippings
- Correspondence with Boston College 1979-1982
- Panuska Information from Georgetown Years
Series VI. Speeches
The Speeches series consists of 70 folders containing speeches or talks from 1982 through 1995. Father Panuska is currently retaining the talks given from 1996 through 1998. The folders were originally labeled "Talks" and this title has been retained.
- Book Reviews
- Boston College Talks
- Talks 1982
- Talks January - March 1983
- Talks April - August 1983
- Talks September - October 1983
- Talks November - December 1983
- Talks January - April 1984
- Talks May - September 1984
- Talks October - December 1984
- Talks January - March 1985
- Talks April - June 1985
- Talks July - October 1985
- Talks November - December 1985
- Talks January - March 1986
- Talks April - June 1986
- Talks July - October 1986
- Talks November - December 1986
- Talks January - April 1987
- Talks May 1987
- Talks June - August 1987
- Talks September - October 1987
- Talks November - December 1987
- Talks January - March 1988
- Talks April - May 1988
- Talks June - August 1988
- Talks September - October 1988
- Talks November - December 1988
- Talks January - February 1989
- Talks March - April 1989
- Talks May - June 1989
- Talks July - August 1989
- Talks September - October 1989
- Talks November - December 1989
- Talks January - February 1990
- Talks March - April 1990
- Talks May - June 1990
- Talks July - August 1990
- Talk September - October 1990
- Talks November - December 1990
- Talks January - February 1991
- Talks March - April 1991
- Talks May - June 1991
- Talks July - August 1991
- Talks September - October 1991
- Talks November - December 1991
- Talks January - February 1992
- Talks March - April 1992
- Talks May - June 1992
- Talks July - August 1992
- Talks September - October 1992
- Talks November - December 1992
- Talks January - February 1993
- Talks March - April 1993
- Talks May - June 1993
- Talks July - August 1993
- Talks September - October 1993
- Talks November - December 1993
- Talks January - February 1994
- Talks March - April 1994
- Talks May - June 1994
- Talks July - August 1994
- Talks September - October 1994
- Talks November - December 1994
- Talks January - February 1995
- Talks March - April 1995
- Talks May - June 1995
- Talks July - August 1995
- Talks September - October 1995
- Talks November - December 1995
Series VII. Video Tapes
This series consists of 22 video tapes, most of which document President Panuska's career. A few tapes document University events.
- University of Scranton: At A Glance
- Dealers Among Dealers
- Father Panuska 1995 Commencement Address
- Bob Dole's Campus Visit, September 7, 1996
- University of Scranton 1996 Wall of Fame Induction Ceremonies
- Reception for J. A. P., May 14, 1982
- Father Panuska Personal Message
- University of Scranton Houlihan-McLean Center Dedication
- President's Message, April 1994
- President's Message, September 1995
- President's Message, October 1996
- Rev. J. A. Panuska, President of the University. Interview recorded in the television studio with Bill Genello, June 26, 1997
- McDade Center Dedication September 17, 1993 (Master, 2 copies)
- Inauguration Gavel to Gavel - tape I of II
- Inauguration Gavel to Gavel - tape II of II
- Fr. Panuska Inauguration Package
- University Of Scranton A Jesuit University
- Gateway To The Future, University of Scranton
- University of Scranton Second Century Campaign, Ashton-Worthington
- University of Scranton 1994 Commencement Activities, Undergraduate Commencement, Sunday, May 29, 1994
- Shaping The Future, New President's Message, December 1996
- The University of Scranton Presents "The Panuska Years"
- University Network Promotional Tape
Series VIII. Artifacts
This series contains 27 artifacts related to President Panuska's career. Also included are framed photographs.
- University of Scranton insignia plaque - 4" x 3"
- Glass wall hanging Allied Services Award for outstanding leadership - 12" x 9"
- University of Scranton President's Club white marble paperweight - 2" x 2"
- Metal dish with gold etchings, Miguel De Cervantes - 12" diameter
- Collage of Commencement photos, Fr. Panuska with Tim Russert
- Autographed photo of President John F. Kennedy
- Framed photograph of aerial view of University of Scranton, May 9, 1988
- Framed campus map and directory of the University of Scranton
- Framed rendering of University of Scranton insignia
- Copper Statue of Boy Scout - Distinguished Citizens Award from the Northeastern Pa. Council Boy Scouts of America, May 10, 1990
- Wooden Crucifix with metal Corpus, 19 1/2" x 10"
- Pennsylvania license plate, Keystone State US 1888
- Red silk stole with embroidered gold cross and red fringe
- Dark blue corduroy baseball cap, University of Scranton Physical Plant
- Wooden plaque sports award with clock from East Scranton Youth Sports Complex and the Hill Neighborhood Association, March 1985
- University of Scranton Certificate of Distinguished Service, May 15, 1998
- Phi Lambda Upsilon honorary membership certificate, Beta Kapa Chapter, March 1983
- Brass Head of Christ medal in dark red box, Universitas Tyrnaviensis Trnava 1992
- Scranton Sunday Times article engraving on wooden plaque regarding Francis E. Redington, September 9, 1984
- Red silk embroidered box containing soapstone seal with red ink contained in a jar
- Pewter disk, University of Scranton, A Second Cornerstone, 1888-1988, 3" diameter
- Framed poster regarding University of Scranton, 100 years, 20 1/2" x 28 1/2"
- Wooden plaque, University of Scranton Wall of Fame, 1997, 10" x 12"
- Framed photograph of Senator Ed Meese, 9" x 11"
- Framed Photograph of Fr. Panuska with Carol Channing, 9" x 11"
- Greater Scranton Laudatory Award, 12" x 15
Donated by Rev. Joseph A. Panuska, S.J., Ph.D., in 1998.
Processed in 1998.