Born in Riga, Latvia, in 1920, Chaim Hendin was a soldier in the Russian Army from 1940 to 1945. In 1965, he emigrated to Israel where this work was done.
"Broken Fiddle" is a memorial to musicians who died in the Holocaust. The broken hand and violin, rejoined in this sculpture, symbolize not only the emergence of the modern state of Israel, but more particularly that the power of music, like the spirit of those who suffered in the Holocaust, cannot be destroyed. It is now on permanent display in the Reading Room of the University Archives and McHugh Special Collections.
The sculpture was a gift of Seymour (1917-1983) and Minnie (1920-1983) Nogi, two of the founders of the University's Judaic Studies Program. In 1984, a drawing of the sculpture was featured on the program for the University's 1984 Lecture on Judaic Studies, presented by Rabbi Arthur Hertzberg.
The Nogis' contribution to the Judaic Studies Program reflects only a small portion of their dedication to education, particularly to The University of Scranton. Seymour graduated in the class of 1941 and later served the University as chairman of the Development Committee of the Board of Trustees, chairman of the University's Presidents' Club and Annual Fund Campaign, and co-chairman of the Special Gifts Division of the capital development program. He did all this, always with Minnie at his side.